Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Vegetables/1

If I have some tiny talent, I think it shows in my drawings "from memory", "from imagination". When I draw from life, my drawings are so plain that I usually hate them. However, I don't dislike these too much, so...


(Compressed) charcoal is a wonderful medium, although it's a mess and you end up with black spots everywhere on your body and in your room


the following is a bit lighter, but I think it's OK. Incidentally, when I scan graphite drawings I always increase the contrast a little (to make lines darker) - which is not needed with charcoal:

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Isn't it fun how a medium helps shape a work? I like how contrasty the charcoal looks compared to pencil, making shadows more dramatic.

    I found that pen really forced me to express more with texture than I ever would with pencil or charcoal; the latter two encourage me to be lazy and express value directly instead of with textures of lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right Jared, a medium always drives a work in its particular specific way, and charcoal is probably well-suited for me.

    Incidentally, why don't you show some of your works in your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are incredible. I really need to work harder!

    ReplyDelete